What is Facebook Automatic Alternative Text? – In this article I write about Facebook automatic alternative text (AAT).
You will learn what an alt text is, what is Facebook automatic alternative text technology, why it’s important for your social media marketing and how to use it to your advantage.
If you want to learn more about alt text, make sure you also read these articles:
- How to edit Instagram Alt Text
- How to Add Alt Text to Shopify Product Images
- How to Add Alt Text to Shopify Theme Images
- How to Add Alt Text to Images in Wix
Alt Text: Definition
Alt text, also known as alt tag (alt stands for ‘alternative’) is the textual description of an image.
The main function of the alt text is to describe the vision to the Blind and Visually Impaired (BVI).
Generally this description is read aloud by screen reading software programmes.
A secondary function of the alt text is to describe images to search engines.
Alt text was heavily used in the early days of the World Wide Web (WWW).
Back when internet connections were slow, images took time to load. While waiting, users could understand what the images were about by reading the alt text.
What is Facebook Automatic Alternative Text (AAT)?
Facebook Automatic Alternative Text (AAT) is a technology to automatically add alt text to images posted on Facebook newsfeed.
The technology, which was developed in 2016 and won the Hellen Keller Achievement Award in 2018, uses object recognition to add description to photos.
What’s New in Facebook Automatic Alternative Text?
The new update to Facebook AAT brings a number of improvements, including:
- 10x increase in the number of concept AAT can detect and understand
- More detailed descriptions capable of identifying locations, type of animals, etc.
- Information of the positional location of elements within a photo
- Information about the relative size of elements within a photo
Why is It Important?
By being more accurate in identifying the content of a photo, Facebook (and Instagram) can better index and rank your media content under the appropriate category.
How to Edit Facebook Alt Text
To edit Facebook alt text for your photos:
- Select a photo of your choice and click on the three dots […] on the top right
- Click on Change Alt Text
- If you don’t like Facebook AAT, enter your custom alt text
- Click on Save